Monday, July 2, 2012

Salisbury Steak

Photo

Tonight, Jamie and I enjoyed Salisbury Steak, which I modified from Pioneer Woman's recipe (find her recipe here.) I decided to try this recipe because our good friend Ilene said that she made it and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd give it a try. Jamie was glad I did :) It was delicious! He said he would give it a B because the sauce didn't quite thicken (I think I should have just waited a little bit longer... I need more patience with sauces!), but we both really enjoyed it regardless. I served it with mashed potatoes, salad, and freshly baked bread. Here is my modified version of the recipe. Enjoy! Oh, and European Vacation Posts are coming soon!

Ingredients

Meat Mixture

3/4 pound Lean Ground Beef
1/4 cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
1/2 cube Beef Bouillon, Crumbled
3 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon Ketchup
Salt And Pepper

Gravy

whole Onion, Halved And Thinly Sliced (or Diced If You Prefer)
2 cups Beef Broth
4 dashes Worcestershire (additional)
1 Tablespoon Ketchup (additional)
1 teaspoon Corn Starch
Salt And Pepper, to taste

Instructions
  1. Combine all the ingredients for the meat mixture and mix well with your hands. Form into 3 oval patties, then make lines across the patties to give them a "steak" appearance.
  2. Fry in a skillet with about 1 T. oil and 1 T. butter over medium-high heat on both sides until no longer pink in the middle (about 4-5 minutes per side). Remove from the pan and pour off excess grease.
  3. Reduce the heat to medium and add sliced onions. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown and soft. Add the beef stock, Worcestershire, and ketchup. Stir and cook over medium-high heat to reduce.
  4. Take about 1 T of the sauce out of the pan, and add about 1 t. cornstarch. Stir until dissolved, and then add back to the sauce to give the gravy a little gloss and to thicken it up a bit.
  5. Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed.
  6. Return the steaks to the gravy. Spoon gravy over the top and let them simmer and heat back up for a couple of minutes.
  7. Serve with mashed potatoes and peas or salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment