Friday, October 8, 2010

Cornbread and Chili!

Img_2949
It's getting cold outside, which means chili tastes really good! Last night, I made a giant pot of chili. It was delicious. I also made cornbread from scratch for the first time! It was quite tasty. I was inspired by Pioneer Woman, as usual, and I actually made the recipe twice. Once last night and again today so we could have more cornbread and chili for lunch! I changed it up a bit the second time and was happier with the results. Here is the recipe for Skillet Cornbread. Make it with your favorite chili recipe. I'll have to share mine with you later!

Img_2936Img_2940
Skillet Cornbread

1 c. yellow cornmeal
½ c. flour
1 t. salt
1 T baking powder
1 c. buttermilk
½ c. milk
1 egg
½ t. baking soda
¼ c. butter or Smart Balance
2 T butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Stir together.

Measure the buttermilk and milk in a measuring cup and add the egg. Stir together with a fork. Add the baking soda and stir.

Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until combined.

In a small bowl, melt 1/4 c. butter (I used Smart Balance). Slowly add the melted butter to the batter, stirring until just combined.

In a 10-inch skillet, melt 2T butter over medium-high heat. Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Spread to even out the surface.

Cook on the stovetop for 1 minute, then bake at 450 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Be careful - your skillet and its handle will be hot! Don't burn yourself like I did, even after promising myself I wouldn't :)

Img_2944

1 comment:

  1. Now you know I've never been a fan of chili, but that cornbread sure does look scrumptious! You'll have to make that for me sometime!

    ReplyDelete