Sunday, April 24, 2011

Chocolate Sheet Cake Cupcakes

Img_5392
My favorite cake is chocolate sheet cake, and here is the secret recipe:

Img_5357

The recipe has been "passed on" to me by my grandma - who makes this cake every time we visit. I always think it tastes better when she makes it, even now. The reason I say "passed on" in the way that I do is because the first time I asked her for the recipe, she told me to go online and look up "Texas Sheet Cake". So there are various versions of this cake floating around, but my favorite is Grandma's.

Img_5360

Throughout the - let's say 10 - years I have been making this cake, I have learned many things:

  1. You have to mix the ingredients in the specified order
  2. You have to wait for the chocolate mixture to cool before adding it to the other ingredients
  3. The cake will come out really badly without baking soda

To start out, combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.

Img_5363

Then on the stovetop, heat up butter, water, and cocoa.

Img_5364

Bring to a boil and let cool.

Img_5366

In another bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, soda, and vanilla.

Img_5368

Pour the cooled chocolate mixture over the flour/sugar combination.

Img_5370

Stir in the egg mixture as well,

Img_5371

and finally add cinnamon if you wish.

Img_5374

Then, you can bake it in a sheet cake pan for 20 minutes at 350 and ice it with the icing glaze (Classic Style), or you can get crazy and pour it into cupcake pans and bake at 350 for about 17 minutes (what I did.)

Img_5379

17 minutes-ish later:

Img_5381

Yum.

Img_5382

Then, for the icing, I used the recipe on this site: Obsessed with Baking. It is similar to this recipe: Pioneer Woman's That's The Best Frosting I've Ever Had. I made the PW version for a different set of cupcakes I made a couple of days before, and I'll have to say that despite the different methods, they both came out pretty much the same. I had a slight problem with getting the Obsessed with Baking version to really come together nicely but it tasted great. To cover up the imperfections, I decided to cover the icing with sprinkles, which was a great idea. They turned out gorgeous!

Img_5395

And check this out:

Img_5403

WoW!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I stumbled across this post and tried them today. They were so good! Its exactly what i was looking for... a dense, moist chocolate cupcake. I made a pb frosting and they were excellent! Thank you for your recipe.

    ReplyDelete