Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Biscuits and Gravy

Img_4816
Last year, my friend Lisa introduced me to homemade biscuits and gravy. This recipe is super easy and quick to make as well as extremely delicious. We don't have it all the time because it is not the healthiest breakfast choice, but we do enjoy it every once in a while!

I start by baking one can of buttermilk biscuits according to the package directions.

Img_4818

Then, I slice the sausage into patties (or buy patties already made) and cook them in a pan over medium-high heat until they are done. You can use whatever amount of sausage you would like. When I am making this for two, I use about 1/2 lb., but for 4 people you would want to make a whole pound of sausage - two patties per person is usually a good amount. A variation would be to crumble the sausage instead of making it into patties - either way would end up tasting great!

Img_4819

After the sausage is cooked, I add a tablespoon or so of SmartBalance to the pork fat that is left in the pan. I want to end up with about 2T of fat in the pan, so I add more or less than 1T of SB to get to that amount.

Img_4821

I then add 2T of flour, let it cook for about a minute, and then whisk it into the butter mixture.

Img_4823

I pour in about a cup of milk and whisk it all together.

Img_4824

Then I add salt and pepper,

Img_4826

and let it cook until it gets thick.

Img_4828

I add more milk if it needs to be thinned out a bit, and then we assemble our plates. To assemble, open up a biscuit, place a sausage patty on top, and pour on the gravy! If you made crumbled sausage, you could just stir it into the gravy before pouring it over the biscuits. Jamie and I like to eat the extra biscuits with honey, and we like to eat a big fruit salad on the side! Enjoy!

Img_4831

 

No comments:

Post a Comment