Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pizza with Prosciutto and Goat Cheese

Img_4179
I love to make homemade pizza - it is relatively easy, and extremely delicious!

Thanks to Lisa, I found a secret ingredient that really makes the pizza: Don Pepino's pizza sauce. It tastes fresh, is flavorful, and just all around adds a little something extra to the pizza. It comes in this cool vintage-looking can:

Img_4164

My other secret ingredient is goat cheese. I am absolutely obsessed with the stuff, and for good reason. I use it along with mozzarella, and it adds a creamy texture, and a unique flavor to the pizza. The Trader Joe's brand is especially wonderful, as it is not too strong or overpowering:

Img_4167

For this particular pizza, I decided to use prosciutto as the meat. I'm almost as obsessed with prosciuttio as I am with goat cheese, but not quite as much. Sometimes I use sausage for the meat, and sometimes pepperoni. It would probably be good with all of the meats combined, too!

Img_4170

I also decided to use caramelized sweet onions, so I sliced up an onion, and sauteed it over medium-high heat until...

Img_4161

... it looked like this:

Img_4171

The below gallery shows the progression of my pizza from dough (I used Trader Joe's pizza dough) to finished product. I do not have a pizza stone, but I find it to be helpful to put the pan that I use to cook the pizza into the oven while it preheats so that the pan gets really hot, and the crust will cook a little while I am assembling the pizza on top of it. I set my oven to 450 degrees, and it took about 15 minutes for the pizza to bake.

Img_4172Img_4173Img_4174Img_4175Img_4176Img_4177Img_4178

Look at that yummy goat cheese:

Img_4181

So delicious!

Img_4182

We ate the whole pizza in one sitting...

Img_4183

...AND we were lucky enough to pair it with Trader Joe's Vintage Ale, which was an excellent choice!

Img_4184

It went really well with the pizza.

Img_4185

I'm not usually one for dark beers, but this one wasn't too heavy or strong. It was Belgian-style, and honestly, I thought it smelled exactly like Blue Moon. It also tasted similar, but had more complex flavors. If there is a Trader Joe's near you, give it a try! Cheers!

Img_4192

2 comments:

  1. Love it! We make homemade goat cheese/ prosciutto pizza all the time! It's our favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made it tonight! Thanks for the recipe. It was delicious. I used the pizza crust recipe from Pioneer Woman, which was also very good.

    ReplyDelete