Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Easy Chocolate Cake

Img_0162

I love my grandma's chocolate cake, but sometimes I want a just as delicious, smaller, one bowl chocolate cake to satisfy my craving. 

This recipe, also from my grandma, does just the trick! 

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. cocoa
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 c. buttermilk or sour milk (you can sour your own with lemon juice)
  • 1/2 c. oil 
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. boiling water

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, soda. (Grandma says sifting is not necessary, so just combine!)

Add milk, oil, egg, vanilla, and beat until blended. Then add hot water.

Pour in cake pan  and  bake at 350. The time depends on the pan size. I did it in a 9 X 12 and checked after 20 minutes. Grandma says a 9" square pan takes 30 minutes.

For the icing, melt 1/2 stick butter in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 2 T milk, 2 T cocoa, and 1/2 t. vanilla. Add powdered sugar a little bit at a time until icing thickens. I would guess you probably add about 2 c. powdered sugar, but don't measure. Just add until you get a thick consistency. Taste and add more milk or powdered sugar if necessary.  

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment