Saturday, December 4, 2010

Holiday Stuffing

Img_3767

For the very first time, I made homemade stuffing PW style (I used her recipe)- from scratch! My previous experience is with boxes of Stove Top - which is great - but this is better! It did take longer, but in the end it was worth it.

You will need the following:

1 loaf of crusty french bread, cubed; it was a couple days old and was already pretty dry, but I let it sit in a 200 degree oven for a while to dry out some more

Img_3751

1 batch of cornbread, cubed (For this, I used 1/2 of the Cook's Country recipe); I also let this sit in the oven to dry out

Img_3752

1 stick of butter

2 c. chopped celery

1 onion, chopped

4 c. chicken broth

1/4 c. chopped parsley

1/2 t. dried basil

1/2 t. dried thyme

2 or so t. fresh rosemary, chopped

Img_3748

Melt the stick of butter over medium heat.

Img_3755

Add the celery and onions, and saute for a few minutes, until onions are translucent. It will start to smell really good at this point!

Img_3756

Add 4 c. chicken broth,

Img_3758

bring to a boil,

Img_3759

and add the herbs. Stir it all together (I failed to show this part)!

Img_3762

Mix the bread cubes together in a large bowl (I had to split it up into two batches!),

Img_3763

and spoon the liquid mixture over the cubed bread.

Img_3764

Yum!

Img_3766

Spread it out into a large baking dish. I used the 10 X 15 pyrex dish I have, but you could definitely use the 9 X 13 too.

Img_3768

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. I put the broiler on at the end to get the top a little brown.

Img_3769

Enjoy!

Img_3772

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of the step by step pictures! And this stuffing looks deliciouss. I much prefer this chunkier kind to the mushy kind. :)

    ReplyDelete